AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation Diver
Who should try this experience?
Everyone likes to scuba dive or snorkel in warm, clear water on a vibrant coral reef, yet many people know little about what they’re seeing or the importance of reef ecosystems. The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty course helps you appreciate the complexity of these habitats and teaches you how you can help conserve these vital systems.
Anyone who has an interest in the aquatic world can take this course. There are no prerequisites or age restrictions and no water sessions are required to earn this non-diving certification.
What will you learn?
Through classroom discussions, you learn:
- How coral reefs function and the complex nature of life on a reef.
- Why coral reefs are so important.
- Why many coral reefs are in serious trouble.
- What you can do to prevent further decline.
- How Project AWARE unites divers and water enthusiasts to make a difference.
How can you start learning now?
The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation course references information in the digital manual – AWARE – Our World, Our Water – downloadable for free on ProjectAWARE.org. Although this manual is not required for the course, you can read the chapter on coral reefs in preparation for meeting with your instructor.
What scuba gear will you use?
Breathing underwater for the first time is something you’ll never forget, so don’t wait.
- Sign up for Open Water Diver Online and start learning right away.
- Enroll in a PADI Open Water Diver course at A-1 Scuba Diving And Snorkeling Adventures.
- Try scuba diving with the Discover Scuba Diving program.
- Download a Medical Statement and Questionnaire (pdf).
- Browse the scuba certification FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).