Welcome to Project AWAREProject AWARE Foundation is a growing movement of scuba divers protecting the ocean planet -- one dive at a time.
Who should try this experience?
Project AWARE’s philosophy is to mobilize a global force of scuba divers and water enthusiasts who care about protecting the world’s water resources and choose to make a difference – one dive at a time. By earning the Project AWARE Specialist certification, you’ll be aware of the most pressing problems facing vulnerable aquatic environments and know what everyday actions you can take to help protect them.
Anyone who has an interest in the aquatic world should take this course. There are no prerequisites, age restrictions or water sessions required for this non-diving specialty.
What will you learn?
Through classroom discussions, you learn:
- How Project AWARE unites scuba divers and water enthusiasts to make a difference.
- About environmental issues in the ocean commons and coastal zones.
- About fisheries challenges and sustainability problems.
- What’s happening to coral reefs and reef inhabitants.
- Your role in protecting aquatic environments.
How can you start learning now?
What scuba gear will you use?
As a dive professional, you’ll want to have all your basic scuba equipment, including a dive computer, a dive knife, and at least two surface signaling devices. During practical skills exercises, like underwater mapping and search and recovery, you’ll use a compass, floats, marker buoys, lift bags and slates. Your PADI Instructor may suggest additional gear that will be useful throughout your diving career.
Check with your local dive center to get advice about everything you’ll need as a dive pro.
Breathing underwater for the first time is something you’ll never forget, so don’t wait.
- Sign up for Open Water Diver Online and start learning right away.
- Enroll in a PADI Open Water Diver course at A-1 Scuba Diving And Snorkeling Adventures.
- Try scuba diving with the Discover Scuba Diving program.
- Download a Medical Statement and Questionnaire (pdf).
- Browse the scuba certification FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).